Every doctor has a responsibility to make his patients and potential patients well informed about the surgical procedure he/she wants to go through. These guidelines provide the most basic yet the most important facts that any patient should keep in mind in order to have a better understanding on the nature of cosmetic reconstructive plastic surgery here in the Philippines.
- BE WISE. Don’t be deceived by false advertisements about Plastic Surgery. Not everything you read in the internet is true. It is always best to consult first with reliable physicians for accurate facts.
- BE DISCERNING. Make sure that you are consulting and putting your trust in a certified plastic surgeon—one who has completed training according to the standards set by the official Board of Plastic Surgery in your country. Feel free to inquire about your plastic surgeon’s background and training. This is one way of establishing trust and confidence between you and your surgeon.
- BE CURIOUS. Feel free to ask anything and everything about your problem and/or desired operation. A good surgeon would listen and answer all his patients’ concerns. Seeing the whole picture will help you understand and feel more comfortable about the procedure you chose.
- BE REALISTIC. A perfect result is never guaranteed. Understand that you cannot choose a physical feature from any magazine and have it copied. Cosmetic plastic surgery is for the enhancement and improvement of existing physical features. However, in the hands of a certified plastic surgeon you are in the best position of having very good, satisfying and realistic results.
- BE KNOWLEDGEABLE. Make sure that you completely understand not only the benefits but also the risks involved in your chosen procedure. Rest assure that a certified plastic surgeon—backed by his experience and credentials—is fully equipped to handle all possible complications.
- BE CONFIDENT. Understand that during your surgery your plastic surgeon will provide the highest level of skill, judgment, and care. Surgeons are always guided by this doctrine of “First, do no harm”.
- BE PROACTIVE. Feel free to call up or get in touch with your surgeon even after the operation. A good plastic surgeon knows that a patient may still have anxieties and newfound concerns. Remember that the commitment and care of your surgeon doesn’t end with the last stitch.
- BE COOPERATIVE. Follow all post operation instructions religiously. Cooperate with your plastic surgeon to minimize problems and complications. If necessary, request for basic post operative instructions in paper. Patients do have this shared responsibility together with their surgeons in ensuring a smooth and problem-free recovery.
- BE OPEN MINDED. Understand that no two sides of the human body are perfectly symmetrical and equal. It follows that the surgical outcome will never have perfectly equal measurements. However, there is such a thing as having perfectly acceptable results and symmetry.
- BE INQUISITIVE. Any patient has the right to inquire about the fees and other charges that will be incurred during the procedure. Discounts may be given at the discretion of your surgeon. However, keep in mind that it could be a disastrous decision if one’s choice is solely guided by the cheapest surgical package. You will always get great value for your money when your give your surgeon the professional treatment he/she deserves.
It is also important to know that Plastic Surgeons also do Cosmetic Surgeries such as liposuction (lipoplasty) or liposculpture, eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), nose lift (rhinoplasty), facelift (rhytidectomy), breast augmentation (mammaplasty) or boob job, tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), buttocks augmentation, cheek or malar augmentation, chin augmentation and reduction (genioplasty), botox, dermal fillers, hair transplant, dermabrasion, dimple creation, and many more. Likewise, they do Reconstructive Surgery dealing with cleft lip and palate, congenital defects, maxillofacial injuries and burns, scars, and soft tissue coverage.